Latest Over The Bow
- 2013 Labor Day Edition OTB is now available here.
ASAR Event Information
On this page you will find information for the upcoming ASAR Competition.
- The second Area Search and Rescue Competition (ASAR) will take place during the weekend of 27-29 July 2012 at the USCG Academy, New London, CT. This is a competition attended by teams from each of the East Coast Districts from D1-North south to D7. These members are the “best of the best” from each District vying to be the “Number One Team” on the east coast. Each of these participants has competed in his/her District for a coveted spot.
- The events will include: Search and Rescue Planning, Search and Rescue On-Water Exercise, Communications, Line Heaving, Dewatering, Damage Control, Marlinspike and a Mystery Event. All events, except for SAR Planning will be conducted at the Academy waterfront. Berthing will be at Connecticut College (across from the Academy) and transportation will be supplied from the College to the Academy and return. The cost for berthing is $40.00 per night. Meals will be at the All Hands Galley and the cost is $2.45 for breakfast and $4.55 for dinner. A BBQ lunch is being planned for all competitors, judges and crews during the competition. An Awards Dinner is being planned for Saturday evening at the Mystic Marriott Hotel for competitors and guests (cost to be determined).
- The ASAR is Surface Operations most prestigious event as well as a fun weekend for all competitors, judges and visitors. Family and friends are invited to observe most events and are welcome to walk the beautiful Academy grounds.
- The Mystic Marriott Hotel and Spa is booked for the weekend. It is the height of the tourist season in the Mystic area and availability is limited, especially at the gov't rate. We are able to hold this rate through 14 July. To make reservations call 860-405-1585 and indicate it is under the US Coast Guard Aux. Gov't rate is 159.00 per night plus tax. The rate includes Hampton's hot breakfast, free local telephone calls, use of the heated indoor pool and fitness room, and high speed internet access. Check in time for all rooms are 3:00 pm and Check out is 11:00 am.
The hotel information is: Hampton Inn Groton/Mystic 300 Long Hill Road Groton, CT 06340